Wednesday, December 17, 2008

...Colored Me



This is one of the best stories that I have ever read about race. I liked Hurtson's view on her particular race.

One of the lines that resinaded with me was, "I am off to a flying start and I must not halt in the stretch to look behind and weep."

I really liked this line for two main reasons.

First, I think this line states that a lot of people dwell in the past. They sit there and just think about how they were mistreated and dont move on from that point.

Second, I think that she is using this as a message to a lot of people. She is trying to tell others not to just sit there. Hurton talks about being "off to a flying start." She is trying to tell them that there is alot of opportunities for them to take. And that they can make good out of the bad.

People dont have to sit there and be in a slump ove things. You have to make the best out of an ugly situation and she is doing that. She realizes that her ancestors died, but now she can have a better future. She can accomplish the things people never expected her to.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I agree Winnie. you can't just dwell on the past,you need to move on and think positive..She's not just talking about her own life, she's letting other people know. (:

Hannah T said...

I really liked this story too. It's really sad how a lot of people waste opportunities that are give to them to do something less productive.

Natalie H said...

I liked the way she wrote the story as well. I thought it was very different than other things I have read on similiar topics.
Good Blog!

Erin said...

I also like that line a lot, it deffinately stuck out to me the first time i read that story. It has a good meaning behind it and i think its totally true. Good post!