Monday, November 10, 2008

Predictability in Literature


When I was reading the story by Flannery O'Connor, I found it to be extremely predictable. You could tell that Mr.Shiftlet had a motive for coming to the house. It was also very apparent after the second page that it had something to do with the automobile that was sitting in the Craters' garage. Another predictable aspect of this story is when Mr. Shiftlet gets the idea of driving off with Lucynell. Anyone can see it coming that he is about to leave her in at the diner.

I feel that the predictability of this story make it less entertaining. If O'Connor had put some type of twist or turn then maybe I would have been left guessing at what was about to happen next. Though I never saw the end going where it went, I feel like she could have built on it more. From what Mr. Kunkle told us in class about her, I expected the ending to be more tragic and have a bigger climax. I had this sort of illusion that it would end in a creepy dark way like the rumors of her other stories.

The end of the story felt like it belonged, but it was slightly awkward. It was weird when the boy jumped out of the car and Mr.Shiftlet was left to drive by himself down to Mobile. The dialogue seemed extremely out of place and didn't fit into my interpretation of the story. It was just empty space to me.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I agree it was fairly predictable. While I wouldn't have been able to guess the exact ending I could have came up with some similar ideas. I had the same impression that the story was going to be much bigger towards the end and really leave me in awe: it didn't do that.

Anna said...

I agree with you that it was predictable. I also had the same thought that the ending was going to be big. I also thought that something bad might happen.